Saturday, August 28, 2010

On the road to professional me..

This has been probably the most exhausting, yet the most rewarding week of my life.

I worked as an interpreter for a group of businessman that came to my home town to do some investment projects. Who and what, I won't say in order to respect their privacy.

I always wondered if I was in school for something I truly didn't like. But seeing business and negotiations in action has been so amazing that I realize that the theory I learn in school doesn't do the reality any justice. To do business, you need to be quick on your feet and be incredibly clever.. and I really like what I saw. I can tell it's a dynamic job and that it constantly keeps you at the edge of your seat. And I know I cannot be content with not pushing myself from one challenge to the next one..

More important than that, I realized that I might actually be really good at this. They were happy and impressed with my job, and that meant a lot to me. I've never had any work experience what so ever, and seeing how these successful men were impressed with my job made me extremely happy on a personal level. I got this huuuuge boost of confidence in an area that I never had confidence before; the professional area.

I know that I am still young, and that I have tons of things to learn, but knowing that I not only can learn, but that there's people out there that see my potential and want to help me is incredibly encouraging. It just pushes me to keep going forward and to strip away of "what if"s and fears.

Hopefully, this experience is only the beginning. But as of today, I am really happy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you! That sounds like an awesome opportunity. The farther I get in school, the more I realize the value of those professional contacts and experiences. For me, that means going to more health conferences and workshops, learning to network and eventually it will mean doing research. All of it is so exciting, isn't it? Sometimes I forget that I'm an adult and that I have it within me to not only accomplish these things, but do them well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you love! I miss you! I've been MIA for technical reasons, but I sure miss our random talks.

    I hope you're okay and that everything is good on your end of the world..
    Much love <3

    ReplyDelete